O'Neill and Atkinson firemen reported to a structure fire on Thursday, Dec. 9 at 404 N. 12 St. in O'Neill.
The original call came in at 10:30 p.m. and O'Neill was dispatched to the scene. O'Neill Fire Chief Roger Miller called for mutual aide from Atkinson as soon as the O'Neill pumper arrived on scene.
The fire which was fast moving due to the cathedral type ceiling on the north end of the structure.
The fire was investigated by the Nebraska State Fire Marshal's office and the Fire Marshal determined the cause of the fire to be due to improperly disposed of ashes from a wood burning stove. The ashes ignited a grill cover and then the outer structure of a hot tub before moving up the wall of the house and getting into the ceiling of the structure which took off and burned at an incredibly fast rate venting the fire through the upper story windows before firemen could arrive.
The house was occupied by Mark Urwiller and Kathy Johnston. Both individuals were able to make it out of the house.
Miller asks people to use caution when operating and disposing of burnt materials from a wood burning stove as they can be dangerous to life and property.